Countdown

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Nokbeon Week 14 - A Wonderful Week

Dear Family and Friends,

This week the weather cooled down a lot, so it was super nice when we walked outside and talked with people.  One thing I did a ton this week was phone calls...  This upcoming Saturday there is a huge festival on the street outside of our church, so the city called and asked if they could use our bathrooms.  So, we are all putting on English Classes, Jazz Piano Performances, Bracelet Making, Face Painting, and Balloon Animal Making.  About 800 people are planned to come through our church, and we basically have been put in charge of planning it.  Long story short, I have never talked to the Bishop so constantly and for such a long period of time!  I have also been coordinating with President Sonksen a bit to borrow missionaries from the surrounding areas to come and help us out.  I think this will turn out to be a huge success in getting people to have a cool experience with the Church in a fun way. 

In addition to many phone calls, we also started teaching a 17 year-old investigator this week.  He is attending a high school in the area that I was trained in, and he is studying car auto-mechanics.  We met him twice this past week; he is super nice.  We're looking forward to having some lessons with the youth in the ward, but none of them have time to help since they all study until 9 or 10 o' clock at night.  We taught him the first lesson, watched the restoration video and he received it really well.  Lately we have been trying to focus a lot more on talking with the youth and the younger generation because they are usually more humble and will have a bigger influence on the future.  

Saturday was the busiest day of the week by far between basketball class, English class, and family home evening.  I also had the opportunity to do exchanges with Elder Coleman in my district and discuss how we can increase success within each of our areas.  We had a couple new students at English class, but lately we have been trying to figure out how to make it better.  As for family night, we had a low turnout of members, but our investigator came, so that was a big success.  It was good to see him make friends with all the missionaries. 

I felt the influence of the spirit strongly in my missionary work this week.  While we were English flyering on Friday, I met this really cool guy who then ran off after the light changed.  I didn't think much about it until we were having a lesson in a nearby Dunkin' Donuts and I saw him walk by again.  I was pretty surprised and almost went out at that moment to talk to him.  Well, we just finished our lesson and walked out to find the same guy waiting outside.  I felt strongly that the Lord had led us to find and talk with him on that same day, and sure enough we set up a return appointment!

The best thing that happened out of these things during the week, though, was interviews with President.  He said exactly what I needed to hear, and I was able to express concerns and receive guidance for how I can do missionary work better.  I'm so grateful to be in a mission with such great leadership.

Thanks for all the support and love!

Your Favorite Missionary,

Elder Wheeler
 
Nokbeon District Temple Day (9/29/15)

View from p-day hike (10/5/15)


Elder Coleman



Chase in front of rescue helicopter training



Chase and a first responder


 

No comments:

Post a Comment