Countdown

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Nokbeon Week 26

Dear Family and Friends,

It was a wonderful Christmas spent here in the city of Seoul.  Only about half of Koreans actually "celebrate" Christmas, but most of them usually go out to eat with their spouse or go on a date during Christmas.  We were outside during Christmas, using a sticker-board to introduce our message to people on the street and there were SO many couples, and all the other guys who were alone on the street were going to meet their girlfriends.  Well we did have some good success overall and that night for dinner, we ate with Gyeong-Min and Jee-Hoon and watched the nativity video.  It was great to be able to spend time with them and talk about Christ.  After that, we took a bus out to a less active member's house to visit him, but unfortunately he wasn't there.  On the ride home from the visit, I was a little disappointed that nothing was really accomplished and that no one wanted to talk on the bus.  In the moment of feeling sorry for myself, I looked out the window and made eye contact with an old man at the bus stop, who just smiled big at me and gave me a thumbs up! I felt in that moment that the angels were just cheering me up.  To me, that was a huge miracle because that is a little weird for people to do in Korea.  I really do know that God loves and cares about each one of us.

Also this week, we had our Christmas party on Christmas Eve! Unfortunately, there was no Santa but the kids did get lots of candy in their stockings!  The missionaries had to pull off a musical number, and we did Carol of the Bells which went alright.  I asked Gyeong-Min how it went, and he said the quality was low....(For the record, Gyeong-Min is a little too honest haha).  But, all the other members seemed to enjoy it.  I've definitely improved my singing skills on my mission.  I practice singing the bass line for every hymn that we sing, and its coming along to a degree.  We watched the Christmas devotional which was awesome.  I also got a sweet scarf from an English class member and some socks from the Bishop.  This ward is the best!

Also, lately the Korean language has been coming along pretty well.  Just last Sunday, I was talking with some new members who moved into our ward who I had called earlier.  While I was taking with them, the wife, with her jaw dropped said, "Wow! You're so good at Korean."  I usually don't trust Korean compliments because they tell everyone how good they are at Korean, no matter their level, but that time it seemed pretty sincere.  The complexities of the Korean language just continue to amaze me and blow my mind.  There are so many different ways to express yourself which just makes it so fun to learn.  

As for other news, we had ward council this week and the ward seems like it is heading in a good direction.  W will hopefully have two baptisms this upcoming month in the Nokbeon ward.  The other elders have a sweet investigator, along with Gyeong-Min who are both progressing well.  The ward has also made lots of plans to bring people back to church.  I work with the Elder's Quorum President a lot who told me last Sunday that he feels like I'm his first councilor haha.  I definitely talk with him enough to be his first councilor, and we are working closely together to strengthen these members.  I'm so grateful for all the wonderful people I have met and all the amazing things I have learned on my mission.

Thanks for all the love and support!

Your Favorite Missionary,

Elder Wheeler
Chase wearing his investigator's coat, Elder Apigo and a Korean youth

Chase with a Korean friend

No comments:

Post a Comment