Countdown

Sunday, October 12, 2014

GEN CON October 2014

Dear Friends and Family,
What a great and spiritually uplifting week.  I know everyone watched conference last week, but I did not because it had to be translated into Korean for the other members.  Luckily, I got to view it in English.  It was absolutely fantastic.  I mean not only did we have the opportunity to hear from the leaders of our church, but we had the opportunity to hear from a Prophet who was called of God.  I really learned so many different things from each talk and I receive some great direction on how I can improve.  I don't have enough time to write about each talk, nor can I perfectly remember each talk, but I may touch on one of my favorites. 
This Saturday was transfer calls!  Every six weeks, the mission president calls and changes our assignment, our companion, or keeps it the same.  First of all, Elder Julseth and I are staying put for at least another 6 weeks.  However, Elder Thompson is becoming a Zone Leader in our zone and moving out of our house.  Elder Ashby will replace him on Wednesday. I will certainly miss Elder Thompson and his deep insights, but he's still in our ward, so that's good.
Other than transfer calls and General Conference, not a ton happened this week.  Although we were able to meet with T.G.  He has been praying about once a week and hasn't received an answer yet.  So we talked with him about how to recognize the Holy Ghost and committed him to pray daily.  Overall, it was a great lesson.  Idongwon didn't meet with us this week because he has been really busy with school.  It looks like his Baptismal date may have to be moved back.  Koreans are really busy, so it makes meeting pretty difficult.
Today for lunch, Anyeongchan took us out for lunch to an awesome Chinese place.  I sent a picture of the shrimp dumpling I had.  It was pretty good and we had Baskin Robins afterwards.  He loves the missionaries and takes really great care of us.  He talked about how much he appreciated the work we do contacting people on the streets daily. Also, It was Elder Thompson and Elder Bishop's birthday on Saturday the 11th.  We had a fun little celebration after Conference.
Elder Bednar's talk during the last session of conference really awesome.  While I've been in Korean, a lot of people have asked, "Why are you serving a mission?"  I had a pretty good idea why, but Elder Bednar did a great job at describing why so many missionaries and members around the world are sharing this gospel with others.  First of all, we don't get bonus points in our church for doing it.  Elder Bednar described his son after he cut his arm.  His brother took him inside, and through lots of ointment and Band-Aids, made him feel a lot better.  The little child immediately went out and shared this ointment and Band-Aids with his other friends outside.  This act was instinctive.  He received so much help from the medicine that his next act was to share it with others.  Like this child, I have received so much help from this church and this gospel that I really desire to share it.  The feeling is hard to describe, but it is instinctive and out of a desire to help others feel what I feel everyday.
Even though I've only been on my mission for about 3 months, I've already learned so much and have come to know how true this gospel is.  I love the Book of Mormon so much, and it helps encourage me and guide each day.  And I have never been so happy as when I share the things that I have learned with others.  The comfort of knowing the truth is overwhelming and I invite those who are unsure or who don't know to find out!  Everything seems to go better and fall into to place when I put God first in my life.  Although trials are inevitable, God has given us the tools to overcome them.  I get rejected everyday by people on the street, but I am happy as I continue to do the things that he asks.  God measures our success, not others.
I thank everyone again for all their prayers and support! I love hearing from you!
Your Favorite Missionary,
Elder Wheeler

Chase with Elder Christensen




No comments:

Post a Comment