Countdown

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Another Exciting Week

Dear Friends and Family,

Wow where to start....I got my haircut on P-day which was a very interesting experience.  When the lady asked me how I wanted it to look (in Korean), I had to have my companion help me out and then stick with the consequences.  In reality, she could have done whatever she wanted and I couldn't have complained.  Luckily, it turned out alright, but does look a little more Koreanish.  We did a ton of contacting people on the streets at the beginning of this week because we didn't have many appointments.  On average, we contact about 180 people a week and about 179 people deny us.  It's definitely tough, but its worth the one guy who is willing to meet with us again.

On Friday we had an awesome ward picnic in the morning.  It lasted from about 10 to 3:30 and we got the chance to do all sorts of fun things!  We played this epic game of dodgeball which is called blood ball in Korean.  I found it super fun although I did end up with a bloody knee afterwards.  We also played catch, volleyball, frisbee, and some basketball.  I got to know a lot of the members better and their "true" personalities haha.  Afterwards, we headed over to Chooncheon.  My companion served there for the first five transfers of his mission.  A transfer is 6 weeks.  One couple that he had taught for about 6 months while he was there finally got baptized!  It was amazing to be a part of.  Their ward has about 20 people in it and is way smaller than shinchon.  It takes about 2 hours to travel all the way out there.

On Saturday, we had our weekly meeting with our Ward Mission Leader!  He felt bad that he had to cancel the last couple of weeks, so he and his parents fed us.  They made tons of pork, rice, and kimchi.  I literally ate so much.  What made the meeting even better was that one of our investigators came!  His name is 최종각 (Che jong gak), and he is the man I met on the subway late the night after stake conference.  He was super interested in the Book of Mormon and we were able to teach him the first lesson.  Later that night, we planned for our week since we couldn't do it on Friday as usual.

On Sunday, we had some great lessons at church.  During the first hour, in priesthood, we talked a lot about testimonies and how important they are.  Surprisingly, I understood quite a bit of what was going on.  However, during Sunday school, I was completely confused.  An old Korean man taught us out of Isaiah using very high level vocabulary.  Probably an amazing lesson, but unfortunately, I didn't catch much of it and my companion was having a hard time himself.  Lastly, in sacrament meeting, Idongwon showed up, and afterwards we were able to teach him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  An awesome returned missionary from Korea joined us and really helped during the lesson.  Although Idongwon has accepted a baptismal date, he still has a long way to go in order to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon.  He is a super great investigator and always very kind to us.  Lastly, we taught T.G. that night.  He really wants to know if God exists and how to receive that answer.  We ended up talking a lot about how God commands us to pray and read the scriptures.  We promised him that if he diligently read and prayed daily, he would receive that answer.  God will answer us if we show him our true desire to know the truth.  God requires that action on our part in order to reward us.

I have really come to see the blessings that this gospel brings to my life.  Although most people deny us on the streets, I have really never been happier.  Its so fun to be on a mission, serving others and serving God!

Your Favorite Elder,


Elder Wheeler





No comments:

Post a Comment