Countdown

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Ripping My Shoe

Dear Family and Friends,

So basically I have four more days left in the MTC, and I can't believe it.  It's crazy to think that I entered the MTC about two months ago.  The group of about 20 missionaries headed to the Seoul South Mission left this morning.  It's even weirder to think that the group I spent so much time with has already left.  For all who don't know, I'm flying to Seattle on Monday morning and I'll be leaving from Seattle at about Noon.  Then after a 15 hour flight to Seoul, I'll arrive at the Incheon Airport at about 3:15pm on Tuesday.  I will lose a day because of the international date line.

So in other news, I have had quite a few uplifting experiences this week.  For example, during class with Brother Christensen, we talked for about three hours, the entire class time, and discussed ways to deal with difficult companions.  We talked a ton about never judging others for the mistakes they make and especially not talking bad about them with others.  Nevertheless, it is our job, as companions, to step in between your companion and Satan in order to keep your companion safe.  Luckily, at the MTC, I've been blessed enough to have two companions that I don't have to worry about.  Beyond that, Elder Bluhm always makes sure we're making the right decisions and acting as representatives of Jesus Christ.

We also had a great devotional that outlined some really great points.  One of those points was on forgetting yourself and getting to work.  Each day here, I've continued to work harder and harder in order to learn Korean and become better.  I have had many failures, but I can see my own personal progression.  I always thought that I was working hard at home, but as always, my parents were right.  I wasn't able to see the potential or the capacity I had for myself, but God was definitely able to see it.  I'm not saying the I'm perfect because I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm far from it.  I'm just saying that with God, we can make monumental improvements in our lives.  I've got a long way to go and the task seems very daunting, but I know that God has got my back.

The Korean Language is coming along fairly well.  Every once in a while, I'll have a discouraging day or one where I can't seem to make progress.  However, it amazes me how much I have learned in these few nine weeks.  I've learned hundreds of vocab words, tons of grammar forms, and how to pronounce and read this difficult alphabet. This is quite the testimony builder to me of prayer.  I have spent a lot of time on my knees praying, more than I ever have in my life.  And I have received more guidance, direction, comfort, and power from God than I have also ever received in my life.  Our Heavenly Father listens so intently to our prayers and He wants us to speak with Him.  All we need to do is reach out to Him, and He will always be there for us.

This week, instead of skyping Korean members for TRC (Teaching Resource Center), we just taught each other.  This occurred because they didn't have anyone available.  It turned out well because we spoke only in Korean for a straight hour.  It was great practice.  It seems like we are always teaching which really helps me so much.  It really builds my confidence and shows me what I need to work on.

It has been raining a ton here at the MTC, more than I've ever seen in Provo during the summer/fall.  It always seems like there are dark clouds above our heads.  I greatly appreciate it because at least I'm not getting roasted alive back in Phoenix!  One of the things that I don't appreciate is how everything I wear seems to be falling apart. I have ripped a huge hole in my shoe which I proceeded to duck tape.  Don't ask me how this happened because I have no idea haha.  I have also ripped holes in my socks and lost buttons on my suit coats.  However, I was able to get my suit buttons sewn back on.  Overall, the MTC has definitely been a rollercoaster ride of emotions, but I've grown immensely because of it.

Thank you all again for your daily prayers and letters of support.  I am extremely grateful for them.  I send my love and prayers to you on the daily!

Love your favorite Elder,

Elder Wheeler






No comments:

Post a Comment