Countdown

Thursday, August 21, 2014

11 Days and Counting

Dear Family and Friends,

So it was another interesting week at the MTC!  Elder Harvey left Tuesday morning at 4am and Elder Bluhm and I had to get up that early to help him get on the bus to the airport.  I was pretty tired that day to say the least.  It was really sad to see him go. I realized that my perspective on him and this whole situation has changed from the first week he joined us.  I went from seeing him as a burden to seeing him as a blessing with the help of the Lord.  I've also noticed that when you serve a person willingly, you can't help but love them.  Elders that I didn't initially get along with have become some of my best friends here in the MTC because of service and charity.

The service this week was interesting, to say the least.  On Saturday, with three minutes left in our designated service time, the service leader came up to me and had me start dusting the walls.  Then three minutes later he came up to me and asked how far I got!  I was like "really? I basically did nothing"- well at least that's what I was thinking.  I've never been more confused in the MTC...well not including our Korean classes everyday.  We also got our fully Korean name tags this week! Unfortunately, mine was spelled wrong.  So I asked them to fix it because I'd rather have a name tag right that I'm going to be using for two years.  It was spelled 위러 instead of 윌러.  The second one produces more of an "L" sound.

So we had some pretty great devotionals this week; although, I still hoping that one more apostle will speak to us before we leave.  Jenny Oaks Baker, an amazing violinist, showcased her skills along with talking about the power of music.  It was a great reminder of how the right music can really bring a peaceful spirit into the room.  The Young Women's President of the Church also came and spoke to us.  She mentioned how no one ever regretted that they worked too hard on their mission.  I really need to continue to work harder every day to serve the Lord and do his work.

Because I leave for 한국 (Korea) so soon, I have a ton a mixed emotions.  I know that I am progressing in the language by leaps and bounds each day, but I still know that when I get there, I probably won't have a clue as to what each person is saying.  I'm so excited to get out there (particularly because the food here is getting worse and worse everyday).  I just can't wait to share this wonderful and joyous gospel with people who need it!

During class this week we did an interesting activity.  We practiced street contacting with our teacher who was walking around the first floor of our classroom building.  All of our interactions were pretty awkward, but the slowly improved.  At one point, "the person we met," or our teacher, ran out of the building as a pair of missionaries in our district were trying to talk to him.  Apparently, he had to catch the bus.  Also we taught over Skype this week!  We taught a Korean girl who was really great.  It amazed me how we could feel the spirit through the computer.  It was great practice for "the real deal" in Seoul.  We practice teaching every single day here at the MTC and sometimes the lessons are great and sometimes they're not.  We had both this week and after one of our better ones, our teacher brought us in and complimented us on all the progress we have made.  Brother Christensen and Brother Sung are such great teachers.  They really do care about us, and they always take the time to help us out when we are struggling.

My testimony of this gospel has grown so much here at the MTC!  I have seen the wondrous things that the Lord has done for me and I have started to learn how he works with me.  I know he is always helping us and encouraging us to come closer to him.  I love Him and my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I have never been so joyous as when I do the Lord's work.

Your Favorite Missionary,

Elder Wheeler








No comments:

Post a Comment