Countdown

Thursday, August 14, 2014

18 Days Till Seoul!

안녕하새요 Family and Friends,

Well quite a bit has happened this week at the MTC.  Let me first start out with my companions.  Elder Harvey leaves this Tuesday and that will be quite weird to not have him around as usual.  I have learned a lot from him.  Elder Bluhm is sarcastic as always, and he is picking up the language super quickly.  Everyone in our district calls him the "Vocab King.'  It really helps me a lot to have him around to correct me and push me.  So the older group of missionaries headed to Korea last Monday.  So now we are currently the older group, and this is pretty weird because all of the other missionaries look up to us.  And with that older group leaving, a new group headed to Seoul and Seoul South replaced them.  It continues to amaze me how many missionaries come into and go out the the MTC every week.

The devotional we had on Sunday was really great.  Richard E. Heaton (Main Administrator of the MTC) gave an amazing talk about how God is always looking out for us.  He showed an amazing Mormon message entitled "The Hope of God's Light."  I encourage all of you to watch this inspiring 6 minute video on LDS.org. He continued to then talk about how we as missionaries are here to strengthen people's connection with God. Their connection with God, along with our connection with God, is really what it is all about.  

This week during TRC (Teaching Resource Center), we had a great lesson with a member.  We had a talk about receiving revelation and guidance at church.  At the end, the members commented on how great our Korean was.  I responded by saying that I knew as much as a Rat's tail (쥐거리먹음...I think that's how you spell it).  Apparently, Koreans think that is really funny for some reason.  They burst out laughing which was great.  It is so much fun to crack jokes in Korean.  They're way funnier.

So every week on Preparation Day we go over to the temple.  Even though a nap sometimes sounds better, I am always glad that I went.  The peace at the temple really helps me calm down and not become as frustrated with Korean.  As I have been here, I have started to recognize all of the small (or big) things that God does for me each day.  I could not be more grateful for this gospel and for God.

One thing that I'm proud of is that I finished memorizing the First Vision in Korean. It was long and tough but I finally got it.  And while that was going on, our teachers introduced indirect questions to us in Korean. Definitely some of the hardest things that we have learned so far.  However, we don't get too discouraged with our teachers' "Cultural Tid-bits." We learn something new about Korea every day that just gets me more and more excited to leave.  We learn about stuff from "Korean Bath-houses" to the many unique relationships in Korea.  I feel ready to experience all of these great new things, yet I feel uncomfortable about the language.  I have this feeling that when I arrive, I wont understand a word of what they say because of how fast they speak! Overall, It was another great week here at the MTC.  I play basketball here everyday at the MTC. And I always manage to sustain some bruise or small injury.  It's still a ton of fun.  I even got to play with Elder Mitchell who I played a ton of basketball with at home.  The food here is continuing to take a toll on my body.  I honestly can't wait to get to Korea where I will be able to eat something that won't destroy my insides haha.  Thank you for all your prayers and support.  I really need them to learn this difficult language.  I've actually had a few dreams here in which I got home and I couldn't speak Korean or remember my mission.  Whether its one thing or another, the MTC always keeps me on my toes.  If you have any questions, just email me at chase.wheeler@myldsmail.net.  I'd love to hear from you!

Your favorite missionary,

Elder Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment