Countdown

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sokcho - Week 30

Dear Friends and Family,

So, I'll start off today with an interesting story.  I was walking along the street next to a seafood restaurant with the owner standing outside. I started to talk to him about this prize wheel he had outside his restaurant, and he invited me to spin it (usually you have to pay money to do it).  After it landed on shrimp, he took me and my companion over to the fish tank, pulled out two living shrimp, broke them open in front of us and let me eat it. I was super surprised by the amazing taste of this huge shrimp while it was still squirming around in my hand.  Best Shrimp Ever!

We received our transfer call Saturday Night, and it turns out that I will be moving to a city in Seoul called Nokbeon.  I'm excited because I'll be with a Korean companion, but I'm also sad to leave this amazing and very interesting place (as one can tell from the above story). Elder Choi will become the Branch President for his last three transfers here in Sokcho.  The ward in Nokbun is about 150 members strong, so that will be quite the change from Sokcho. 

This week we had a couple interesting things take place.  This past Thursday, we went to Wonju, a bigger city outside of Seoul, for President and Sister Christensen's farewell Conference.  It was an inspiring and uplifting conference, but also slightly sad because our wonderful mission President and his wife are leaving on June 30th.  He and his wife are just so amazing.  Over in Wonju we had some delicious Doncas (Fried Pork Cutlet- Japanese food).  Plus this week, I got to go on exchanges with Elder Demordaunt who is finishing his mission this week.  He has just been an amazing Zone Leader and I have learned so much from the way he works, loves, and invites the spirit.  Although our exchange was cut short because of Elder Choi's pinched nerve in his neck, I still learned a lot.

This week we also saw a miracle when we visited Brother Jeon's house with a plate of cupcakes.  He didn't open his door, so we walked down the stairs, only to hear him calling my name from the 15th floor.  We were shocked to have him call us up and have the chance to talk with him.  He's doing well, just really confused at the moment about what to do. We have been working with about 4 less active members of the branch and they are so awesome and close to coming back to church.  We also are continuing to work with Doyeong, who won't get baptized this week unfortunately.  I think we are going to bring a member and talk with his parents.  Brother Lim is doing super well, progressing really quickly.  Lastly, we picked up a really cool new investigator this past week who attends another church right now, but is interested in learning about other churches.  He took a Book of Mormon and agreed to read it.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to serve here with these amazing members that I learned so much from.  I especially learned a lot about my Savior Jesus Christ.  I have been so blessed to be here and learn about myself, and how I can better live up to my potential as a son of God.  Sokcho is such an amazing place, especailly since I came to know my Savior better here.  This is pretty much how I view Sokcho. "And now it came to pass that all this was done in Sokcho, yea, by the waters of Sokcho, in the forest that was near the waters of Sokcho; yea, the place of Sokcho, the waters of Sokcho, the forest of Sokcho, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever." Mosiah 18:30 (I replaced Mormon with Sokcho)

Thanks for all the love and support!

Your Favorite Missionary,

Elder Wheeler
Sister Christensen serving treats at the last Zone Conference before
the end of President and Sister Christensen's mission


Elder Shin, Elder Landford, President and Sister Christensen,
Elder Choi and Elder Wheeler


Chase with Sister Christensen (6-18-15)

Meal in Wonju - Doncas (Fried Pork Cutlet- Japanese food)

Chase - ready to dig in!

Elder Demordaunt and Elder Wheeler


Elder Bluhm (Chase's MTC Companion) and Elder Wheeler

Elder Wheeler and Elder Osborn

Saying goodbye in Sokcho (6-21-15)
Elder Wheeler with Yoonsung


Elder Wheeler and Seokjae

Chase taking farewell photos on his last Sunday
at the Sokcho Branch



Elder Wheeler with a young woman in the Sokcho branch
who didn't want to take a picture with him!

The awesome members of the Sokcho Branch

A gold Audi



No comments:

Post a Comment